- Ride single file and obey all traffic signs, signals and laws.
- When the road is too narrow for a car to pass safely in your lane, take the lane to avoid being hit by a motorist.
- Use caution when passing traffic on the right and use the appropriate lane for the direction you intend to travel.
- You may turn left as a vehicle by moving into the left side of the travel lane.
- If you do not feel you can safely move into the travel lane, cross the road like a pedestrian by stopping, dismounting and using the crosswalk.
Riding in the opposite direction of traffic is dangerous and is a contributing factor to bicycle-motor vehicle crashes. The New York State Vehicle & Traffic Law states that bicyclist have the same rights and responsibilities as other vehicular traffic.