Cycling in the dark without lights and reflectors puts you at great risk. Wear something brightly colored during the day and reflective at night to help you stay safe.
- New York State Law requires the use of a light on the front of your bike when riding at night.
- Reflectors and reflective clothing make a really big difference. Reflective leg bands are inexpensive and easy to use.
- Use a mirror – you can attach one to your handlebars, helmet or glasses. Having a mirror helps you monitor traffic without constantly having to look behind you.
- Using a flashing light on the rear of your bike will make you more visible.
- Use appropriate hand signals for better visibility to motorists.